- FeatureAs a lifelong fan of superheroes, Devin Peacock has always been immersed in the world of spandex and capes. And as professional entertainer – with a growing portfolio of hosting gigs, music performances, and commercials –...Nicholas Yanes September 29, 2016 2672 0
- FeatureWalt Disney’s magical legacy has created millions of fans that span the globe and generations. However, few fans are anything like Aaron Wallace. With a law degree from Wake Forest University, Wallace has an analytical mind...Nicholas Yanes September 27, 2016 2760 0
- Games & MerchTEAM DIGNITAS JOINS HARRIS & BLITZER’S EXPANDING GLOBAL PORTFOLIO OF SPORTS PROPERTIES INCLUDING NBA, NHL AND EPLTEAMS FIRST TIME OWNERSHIP GROUP OF NORTH AMERICAN SPORTS FRANCHISE HAS ACQUIRED AN ESPORTS TEAM IN THE FASTEST GROWING PROFESSIONAL...Nicholas Yanes September 26, 2016 902 0
- FeatureBefore The CW had become the network for science fiction, fantasy, and geek shows, there was The WB. Before merging with UPN to form The CW in 2006, The WB had given audiences Charmed, Buffy The...Nicholas Yanes September 19, 2016 3152 0
- FeatureOwner-Operated League Aiming to be the NBA of eSports Season 1 Begins January 2017 LOS ANGELES – Sept. 8, 2016 – Seven of the premier North American eSports teams have joined together under the banner of the...Nicholas Yanes September 10, 2016 1327 0
- FeaturePLANO, Texas, Sept. 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ — Meow is the purrfect time to head to the iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon store and download AlphaCat, a brand new match-three space strategy game with a frisky twist, from...Nicholas Yanes September 2, 2016 1766 0
- FeatureHot on the heels of ‘Suicide Squad’s’ release, WB and DC have yet again been receiving mixed responses on one of their DCCU instalments. DC Entertainment is three movies in – ‘Man of Steel,’ ‘Batman v....Nicholas Yanes August 13, 2016 5114 3
- BooksDanica Davidson has published thousands of articles over her career as a journalist. After having written for MTV, The Onion, CNN, and over fifty other publications, Davidson moved into the world of novels. Inspired by the...Nicholas Yanes June 19, 2016 2058 0
Interview: Erik Therme on traditional vs. self-publishing, Iowa’s writing community, and his book, “Resthaven”Erik Therme is a true blue-collar writer. With little traditional support, Therme has built a writing career through hard work and networking. His first book, Mortom, was self-published and then acquired by a traditional publisher....Nicholas Yanes February 27, 2016 2485 0
- Comic Book News & ReviewsThe Comics Studies Society, a new professional association for comics researchers and teachers, has launched its inaugural membership drive and is now welcoming members. Members who join now, at http://www.comicssociety.org/members/, can become Founding Members of this important new...Nicholas Yanes February 15, 2016 1363 0
- BooksLos Angeles, CA — The Horror Writers Association (HWA), the premier organization of writers and publishers of horror and dark fantasy, today announced it would begin accepting applications for the organization’s five scholarships. Scholarship categories for...Nicholas Yanes February 1, 2016 1204 0
Interview: From Book to TV show – Joel Eisenberg & Steve Hillard on their series, “Chronicles of Ara”While Joel Eisenberg has decades of experience in the entertainment industry and Steve Hillard is just beginning, their first project together is already making headlines. This project being the co-authored fantasy series called The Chronicles of...Nicholas Yanes January 27, 2016 2393 0
SciFiPulse Radio brings you all the latest news and interview from the world of comic, television, film and web series<br /><hr><p style='color:grey;font-size:0.75em'> See <a style='color:grey' target='_blank' rel='noopener noreferrer' href='https://acast.com/privacy'>acast.com/privacy</a> for privacy and opt-out information.</p>
SFP-NOW: Ben and Ian Chat with David Hartley
by IC and MP
For this episode, we do something a little different and host a discussion with up-and-coming UK-based writer Dave Hartley.
Based in Manchester, England. Dave Hartley is a writer of science fiction and fantasy stories and fairly recently published his latest story called ‘Pigskin’, which is somewhat of a modern take on George Orwell’s ‘Animal Farm’.
Dave’s Works and Interests
As well as discussing his Phd, Dave Hartley also discussed some of his works of fiction. Some of the focus was on one of his most recent releases, “Pigskin”, a dark, twisted fable about the horrors of industrial farming. It’s available from the wonderful Fly on the Wall Press, which has published many other science fiction works, and other speculative fiction. Dave’s very much a writer who draws on what he believes in. For example, he’s an enthusiastic and dedicated animal rights activist. But we chose to stick with what we know most about, and further explore depictions of autism within the world of science fiction, within books and also in film and TV, too.
Autism Within Science Fiction
Dave’s favourite film is the fantastic Blade Runner (1982), from the wonderful Ridley Scott. His theses focuses on how it may well be a narrative concerning autism. Consequently, we considered other characters that might also be codified representations of autism. The obvious ones included Spock (Leonard Nimoy) and Data (Brent Spiner), from the Star Trek franchise. But there were other interesting characters too, that emerged during the conversation. But we don’t want to tell you everything we discussed, you can listen for yourself. If you’ve some of your own favourite representations, then by all means leave us a comment and let us know what you think.
You can keep up with up and coming releases by Dave Hartley on his website and blog. His latest collection, “Incorcisms” is out now. If you’re interested in autistic representation, Dave runs Autism Through Cinema, his ongoing podcast series freely accessible on his site.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
February 7, 2021
IC and MP
Search Results placeholder